Robert J. Rutland Institute for Ethics
Position: Associate Director for Business Outreach
The Rutland Institute for Ethics is dedicated to nurturing an ethical environment on and off campus. It strives to be both a resource and a provider of ethics-based services for several of the most important communities of life: businesses, the professions, government, and K-12 education. Accordingly, the Institute has two broad areas of strategic focus: Ethics Across the Campus and Ethics in the Communities of Life. Pursuing major initiatives in these areas of strategic focus the Institute seeks to establish a reputation for excellence and achieve national prominence.
Position Description: The Associate Director for Business Outreach is responsible for (a) the development and coordination of Rutland Institute programs for business and industry, (b) marketing and branding of these programs, as part of the Institute’s mission and as a potential source of revenue, and (c) the creation and maintenance of mutually beneficial partnerships with businesses and organizations such as local chambers of commerce, Rotary Clubs and other Civic organizations. The Associate Director will assist in the development of a strategic plan, business plan, and annual assessment plans and reports as required by the Clemson University Office of Assessment and Institutional Effectiveness. The Associate Director for Business Outreach reports to the Director of the Rutland Institute and the Director of the 3E Alliance: Ethics, Enterprise and Entrepreneurship.
More specifically, the Associate Director’s responsibilities include:
1. Actively engaging with the business community to advance the mission of the Rutland Institute for Ethics.
2. Coordinating Rutland Institute participation in the 3E Alliance, “Ethics Enterprise and Entrepreneurship,” with the Arthur M. Spiro Institute for Entrepreneurial Leadership and the Clemson Institute for the Study of Capitalism.
3. Coordinating Rutland Institute collaborations with the Southern Institute for Business and Professional Ethics, for example, the National Survey of CEOs on Business Ethics and outreach events associated with this survey (in particular, logistics, marketing, branding, and membership activities).
4. Determining (and keeping up to date on) what the Institute can do that is responsive to the needs of business and industry; assisting in the design and delivery of appropriate educational programs (e.g., meetings and conferences) and ethics training for clients in business and industry; aggressively marketing and branding these outreach activities as part of the Institute’s mission and as a potential source of revenue. The aim in all of this is to establish the Institute as a nationally recognized ethics resource for business and industry.
5. Assisting in business-related fundraising and development activities of the Rutland Institute and 3E Alliance (in doing this the AD will be working closely with the Clemson University Development Office).
6. Managing the promotion, membership development, and delivery of membership benefits for the Rutland Ethics Alliance.
7. Developing and managing a business section of the Rutland Institute for Ethics Update (a publication for members of the Rutland Ethics Alliance).
Master’s degree or equivalent professional experience required. Professional experience in ethics education or compliance is especially welcome. Successful candidates will also
Clemson University is a public land-grant institution located in the northwest corner of South Carolina along the dynamic I-85 corridor that connects Atlanta, Georgia and Charlotte, North Carolina. The campus is situated along the banks of Lake Hartwell in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains. Clemson University is committed to building a culturally diverse faculty and strongly encourages applicants from female and minority candidates.
Applicants should send a complete resume as well as the names, addresses (mail and email), and telephone numbers of 3 references to:
Chair, Associate Director Search Committee
Robert J. Rutland Institute for Ethics
126 Hardin Hall
Clemson, SC 29634-0528
Review of applications will continue until the position is filled.
Clemson University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer