(Berlin) – Today the first in a series of Local Network meetings on the issue of business and peace was held in Berlin, Germany. The event underscored the increasing importance attributed to the joint UN Global Compact – PRI guidance publication for investors and companies on “Responsible Business in Conflict-Affected and High-Risk Areas„.
The first event, titled: „Business and Human Rights – Business and Conflict/Peace“, was convened by the Global Compact Local Network Germany. A number of subsequent local network events have been scheduled. This series of events will:
- promote responsible business practices and encourage companies to explore how they can demonstrate their commitment to the Global Compact principles in all countries where they have operations;
- facilitate sharing of experiences and lessons learned among companies that have operations in challenging environments to showcase how companies can make a positive contribution to development and peace;
- provide opportunities for dialogue among companies, investors and other stakeholders to explore the expectations of operating in challenging environments;
- highlight the importance of going beyond what companies can do alone to examine the value of partnerships and collective action in enhancing social and economic outcomes; and
- introduce tools and resources that can be used by companies to develop policies and procedures to facilitate progress.
Thus far, plans for other local network events on these issues include:
- 23 March 2011 – London, UK : „Reducing the Cost of Conflict: Responsible Business in High-Risk Areas and Challenging Operating Environments“
- 19 April 2011 – Beijing, China: „Global Sustainability Leadership: Fostering Inclusive Growth in Challenging Operating Environments“
- 12-13 May 2011 – Helsinki, Finland at the Global Compact Nordic Network Meeting: „Responsible Business in High-Risk Areas“.
- Events are also planned throughout 2011 in other regions including: Colombia, the Gulf States, Indonesia, Pakistan, Sudan and Uganda.
Global Compact participants with operations in these countries are encouraged to attend.
- Download the Guidance on Responsible Business in Conflict-Affected and High-Risk Areas: A Resource for Companies and Investors: (English) | (中文)
UN Global Compact
UN Global Compact